some folks drive the bears out of the wilderness, some to see a bear would pay a fee -
but me, i just bear up to my bewildered best, and some folks even see the bear in me
-Lyle Lovett

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Laxidasical. I'm lookin it up.

because that is obviously not the right spelling.

Lackadaisical.
not spelled how it sounds. and also one of the strangest looking word's i have ever seen.

also, for those curious, its french translation is:
languisant, apathetique.
the only dictionary i keep handy is my F>E dictionary.

and it happened again. I went into the Solstice Cafe, encouraged because i was v. happy with my drink last time, only to get the same half-assed hot chocolate as i usually get. I hate Seattle.
my ordering went something like this:

me: "hi, yeah, i'll take a 16 oz hot chocolate. Extra hot and with extra chocolate."
coffee girl: "ok"
me: "i mean, really, LOTS of chocolate."
coffee girl: (chuckles) "Yeah, we can do that"
me: (nodding my head and raising my eyebrows in a skeptical manner)
coffee girl: "really."


So, i was feeling encouraged. Only to discover that she made my hot chocolate at a very normal temperature (~140 degrees, if that) (i like mine at about 180), and i couldn't taste the chocolate at all. that BITCH. is it really that hard to add chocolate? am i not making my point clear enough? And why don't i just take it back and ask for more chocolate, you ask? Well, 1) because i'm me and i don't like confrontation of any kind, especially in a place where i already feel intimidated because it seems like such an uber-cool college cafe and there are ALWAYS about 3 or 4 of the other baristas standing around, and 2) i've been a barista, and you usually feel really bad when somebody brings you back a drink, so i don't like doing it. Especially in a place where i already feel intimidated. So i take my crappy HC and brood and hold a grudge instead. Much more my style.

I am a crabby grumbly git. I don't like many people. As jayne reminded me the other day. And maybe i should feel bad about that and if i relaxed my standards or something i would have more friends. But i just don't really want to spend time with people if i don't enjoy their company. I dunno. Its hard for me to feel bad about, though I suppose i should.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say, if you can't muster the courage to face these fuckin people, remember how much more money they make than you do for the same job (!), and go back up there and say in a loud voice that they screwed it up after you made it soooo clear- and they want to look uber-cool , so they'll fix it, and you'll make sure you taste it right there and like it before you walk away, and then you will walk away a new woman after confronting your demons, and winning.

ORRR, at least print out the pertinent part of this blog and carry it with you to hand to the barista if they screw up again.

Anonymous said...

you know what i like?
confentation. but i dont know how to spell it.
lets go get hot chocolate sometime. and i will yell. and then we can have good hot chocolate.
or not.
whatever.

haley, as always.

Formula Guy said...

Your are your father's child:
"But i just don't really want to spend time with people if i don't enjoy their company".

Anonymous said...

confrentation. maybe?
confrontation?
im still thinking about it.

but the purpose of this comment: you really need to update more.
more more more.

purpose served. im going to read a book. and learn to spell.

Anonymous said...

oh, that was haley again. forever anonymous. you know.

Unknown said...

the correct spelling is lackadaisical. Hope that helps

Monkey Boy said...

Via a search for the spelling of lackadaisical, I found your blog post. I have not read more than this one post, but I would be remiss if I did not let you know how gorgeous you look, at least from the one pics I see of you on your profile.

I hope to find my way back to you and read more perhaps. Toodles!